University and 1909 Crew Practice

A change was made in the University crew yesterday afternoon. Newhall was moved to 7 from 2, where he rowed Friday, and Fish was tried at 2. Newhall rowed 4 last year, but during the fall work of the crew this year was at 7 regularly. Yesterday was his second day on the water this season. Fish, who rowed number 6 last year, on the Freshman crew, has recently been rowing at 4 on the second University crew. G. Bacon replaced Fish at 4 on the second crew.

The practice yesterday consisted in rowing down stream as far as the Longwood bridge and returning to the University boathouse in stretches. As a whole the crew did not row as well as it did on Friday. The extremely cold wind which blew on the river and the changes in the boat probably account for the poorer work. The four-oar crew did not row.

The first Freshman crew rowed over the one and seven-eights miles course, up-stream from the Union Boat Club to the Longwood bridge yesterday afternoon. This is the first crew to row over the course this spring. On their way down-stream they were coached by Wray, who accompanied them in the launch as far as the Longwood bridge.