University and Upperclass Debating

The debating organizations of the University have been holding regular meetings, usually one debate each week, throughout the winter. The Extempore Debating Club, however, which was formed early in December, has been given up owing to the small attendance. It was founded with an idea of promoting extemporaneous speaking among members of the Senior and Junior classes, and included at first about 25 men. The interest in the organization failed and the club disbanded.

The University team which will debate against Yale at New Haven on March 30 is being coached regularly by R. T. Parke '98. The alternate will be selected by the coach a few days before the debate.

At a recent meeting of the Executive Committee of the Forum, the upperclass debating club, it was decided that the present series of team debates will be the last. Since the beginning of the academic year, the club has been holding weekly debates between teams of four members. After the next two debates, each team will have debated twice. The teams which have lost no debates will then take part in the final series, to be held during the first two weeks in April, to determine the club championship. Silver cups will be presented to the members of the winning team.

After the spring recess, the club is planning to have a series of lectures, followed by informal discussion, in place of the usual debates. This plan will be tried for the first time at the meeting this evening, when Mr. D. F. Fager, a graduate student of the Emerson College of Oratory, will read before the Club. Freshmen are invited to attend these informal lectures of the club.