Mr. Jones on Politics Yesterday

At the Political Club lecture last night in the Randolph Hall Breakfast Room, Mr. Seward W. Jones gave his personal reminiscences as a campaign manager. At 28 years of age he entered politics as a member of the ward and city committee of Newton, Mass. There he soon learned the methods of securing voters, fair and unfair. By means of which the balance of strength between the evenly matched Republican and Democratic parties in the ward was thrown on the side of the former.

After this Mr. Jones served on the congressional committee in 1900, when the same methods for securing votes were followed. The prevalence of bribery was brought directly to his attention when representatives of a variety of organizations invited him to buy their votes. Without exception, their offers were promised careful consideration, and declined on the last day before the caucus when they could do no harm.

As chairman of the campaign committee for Mr. Draper's nomination for Lieutenant-Governor last fall, Mr. Jones remarked the large proportion of campaign funds spent necessarily on advertising, and also the evils of caucuses which are only partly remedied by the new Luce law.

In closing, the lecturer urged that college men to take part in politics where there are so many opportunities for educated men to do valuable service.

A. C. Blagden, '06, president of the club, opened the meeting by a brief review of the conference at New York on Friday to organize the Intercollegiate League of City Clubs.