Prof. Newcomb to Lecture on Tuesday

Professor Simon Newcomb '58, LL.D., of Washington, will give a lecture on Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Art Museum on "The Diffusion of Economic Knowledge," and on Monday evening at 8 o'clock will speak informally before the Seminary of Economics in University 23 on "The Development of Economics as a Branch of Exact Science." The talk will be open to members of the University. At the public lecture on Tuesday Professor Newcomb will consider the benefits which would follow from a better understanding and appreciation of economic principles, and will also say something as to the attitude of the general public toward economics.

Professor Newcomb took the degree of S.B. at the Lawrence Scientific School in 1858. For many years he was at the head of the United States Naval Observatory at Washington, and takes rank as one of the foremost astronomers of our time. His writings have been chiefly upon astronomy, but he has also published a well known book on "The Principles of Political Economy," and has written articles in periodicals on economic subjects.