OLYMPIC GAMES AT ATHENS

Next Month.--W. A. Schick '05 on American Team.--E. H. Clark '96 Withdraw.

The Olympic games will be held at Athens, beginning on April 22 and extending through May 2. The purely athletic events, in which the Americans are especially interested and in which the American team will compete, are scheduled to take place on April 28, 29, and 30. The Marathon run, which is decidedly the most important event for the Greeks, will come probably on April 28. The date of sailing from New York has been changed from March 31 to April 3, and in case of delay, arrangements have been made to take the team from Naples to Piraeus in a warship or a private yacht.

The American Team and Entries.

As officially announced, the team is made up of 29 men, but this number will probably be enlarged by the addition of men who are undecided at present about competing. The team classified by events is as follows:

100-metre run--W. D. Eaton of Amherst College, A. Hahn of Chicago University, W. A. Schick, Jr., '05, G. H. Queyrouge of the New Orleans Y. M. C. A.

400-metre run--H. L. Hillman of the N. Y. A. C., F. R. Moulton of Yale.

800-metre run--H. V. Valentine of the N. Y. A. C., C. J. Bacon of New York.

1500-metre run--J. P. Sullivan of the I. A. C., G. V. Bonhag of New York, H. Cohn of New York.

Five-mile run--G. V. Bonhag and H. Cohn of New York.

Marathon run (42 kilometres)--J. Forshaw of the University of Missouri, R. A. Fowler of Cambridge, M. Spring and W. G. Frank of New York.

Hurdle race--Hugo Friend of the University of Chicago, R. G. Leavitt of Williams College.

Standing broad-jump--R. Ewry of Perdue University.

Running high-jump--H. W. Kerrigan of the Portland A. C.

Running broad-jump--H. W. Kerrigan of the Portland A. C., M. Prinstein of the University of Syracuse.

Shot-put and throwing the stone--J. S. Mitchell of New York, P. Sheldon of Yale.

Hop, step and jump--M. Prinstein of the University of Syracuse.

Pole vault--F. B. Glover of the University of Chicago.

Swimming and diving--C. M. Daniels of the N. Y. A. C., J. W. Spencer of Columbia, M. Schwartz and H. J. Bornaman of Chicago.

Pentathon--J. Sheridan of New York.

The committee in charge of the American team is now awaiting the decisions of the following men, who have been asked to join the team and compete in the events indicated:

J. D. Lightbody of the University of Chicago, 1500-metre run; E. B. Parsons of Yale, 800-metre run; D. Sullivan of the I. A. C., weight events; R. W. Edgren of the University of California, weight events.

The withdrawal of E. H. Clark '96, the former champion all-round athlete of America, who was entered for the Pentathon, left Sheridan the only American entry in that event, but Sullivan has been provisionally entered by the committee. There is a probability that Parsons of California, who last year won the Amateur Athletic Union Championship at Portland, Ore., will go to Athens as a member of the team. He is at present a student in Wisconsin University. Also E. B. Parsons of Yale will probably go to Athens with the team, although he has not decided definitely. As a whole the team is fairly representative, but many of the best athletes are in college and unwilling to interrupt their studies by the time required in a trip to Greece:

The Prospects of the Team.

In the 100-metre run America is well represented by W. A. Schick '05, Eaton and Hahn, all of whom have remarkable records as sprinters. Little is known of Queyrouge, except that he is one of the fastest sprinters in the South. In the 400-metre run, Hillman, who did the quarter-mile in Canada last year in 49 2 5 seconds is probably the best man. In the Marathon the runners have the most serious outlook, as the Greeks consider this event of prime importance and make every effort to win it. This race was the only athletic event won by a Greek in the Olympic games of 1896.

Leavitt, who has done 15 4-5 seconds over high hurdles running 120 yards, will doubtless be the main American reliance in the hurdles. In the field events the Americans should do well with Prinstein in the broad-jump event, and Connoly in the hop, step and jump. Of the swimmers, Daniels of the New York Athletic Club has established four new world's records within a month, and appears to be in a class by himself. Bornaman has a national reputation in diving, which is also an Olympic event.

The Pentathon is a revival of an ancient contest, and is equivalent to the modern all round competition in this country. It includes five entries: running 192 metres, standing broad-jump, throwing the discus, hurling the javelin, and Graeco-Roman wrestling. The athlete must compete in all five of these events, and must win three to secure the prize. Sheridan, the American entry, is the all-round champion of the United States and holder of the record at throwing the discus in the American style.

There will be gymnastic events, games such as tennis and association football, shooting, nautical events and bicycle races, which will be held on the track at the Phalerum.