JAPAN FAMINE RELIEF FUND

Subscription to be Opened in University Toward Relief of Japanese Famine.

In response to an appeal from President Roosevelt in the public press and to direct appeals from Harvard men and other foreign residents in Japan, the Harvard Mission has undertaken to raise by general subscription in the University a substantial sum of money toward the fund for relieving the famine in the north of Japan.

The famine affects three of the northern provinces,--Miyagi, Fukushima, and Iwate. At least 680,000 people are in extreme distress, and official statements show that suffering will continue throughout the spring.

The Japanese government is doing all in its power to relieve the famine by the postponement and remission of taxes, opening of public works and distribution of food at cost and, where necessary, free; but the authorities are unable adequately to meet the need. The appeals for aid, however, have emanated not from the Japanese themselves, but from foreign residents in the provinces affected.

The committee in charge of the subscription has asked one man in each entry of a dormitory to be responsible for the collection in his building. The canvass will be finished next Saturday, night, and collectors are asked to turn in the money collected to H. H. Perry '07, at Phillips Brooks House, next Monday afternoon, between 1 and 5 o'clock. Any men wishing to subscribe who are not called on personally should send checks to H. H. Perry.