PROFESSOR RICHARDS CHOSEN

To Lecture at Berlin by International Exchange Agreement.

Professor T. W. Richards '86 has been designated as Harvard's visiting professor at the University of Berlin next year. He was selected by the German Government from the list of available professors offered by the Corporation. His term of service will fall in the second half-year. His courses will be in physical and theoretical chemistry, the same in which he has been teaching in the University since 1889.

Professor Richards took the degree of S.B. from Haverford in 1885, and the degree of A.B. from this University in 1886. He received the Harvard degrees of A.M. and Ph.D. in the same year, 1888, and the degree of Sc.D. from Yale in 1905. He became an assistant in chemistry in the University in 1889, instructor in 1891, assistant professor in 1894, and professor in 1901. Since 1901 he has been chairman of the Division of Chemistry. He has studied chemistry in various German universities, and a few years ago was offered a professorship in Gottingen University.

Professor Richards has revised the atomic weights of a dozen of the elements, and is one of the leading authorities on the subject. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, and a fellow of the American Philosophical Society, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and several other scientific societies. He is also a member of the International Committee on Weights, and is an adviser to the Carnegie Institution.

Germany's representative at Harvard, as previously announced will be Professor E. Kuhnemann of Bonn University.