BASEBALL WITH BATES

On Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock.--Little Practice Held Since Southern Trip.

The University baseball nine will play Bates this afternoon on the new diamond on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock. Although this is the seventh game the team has played this year, it is the first at Cambridge, owing to the cancelling of the Vermont, Trinity, and Maine games. It should therefore be interesting as affording the first opportunity of seeing the development of the team.

The Bates nine defeated Dummer Academy at Byfield yesterday afternoon by a score of 20 to 6. On April 23 it was defeated by Bowdoin in a ten-inning game, 7 to 6.

The batting order this afternoon will be as follows: Harvard.  Bates. Carr, 3b.  2b., Wood Kernan, r.f.  s.s., Austin Randall, 1b.  p., Doe Matthews, s.s.  c., Beauman Clarkson, c.f.  l.f., Rogers Stephenson, 2b.  3b., Bower Marshall, l.f.  1b., Kendall Quigley, c.  c.f., Dwinal Coburn, p.  r.f., McIntyre

Practice of the University team yesterday afternoon was discouraging, in spite of the almost perfect weather conditions. The batting was fairly good, but this was in part due to the fact that Jackson and Castle, the usual substitute pitchers, were not used. The fielding, particularly that of the infield, was loose and unsteady. Stephenson was again tried at second base, but was still somewhat uncertain, his chief fault being slowness in starting.