PASTEUR MEDAL DEBATE AT 8

In New Lecture Hall this Evening Between Juniors and Sophomores.

Tonight the Pasteur Medal Debate, which will decide the class championship between the Juniors and Sophomores, will be held at 8 o'clock in the New Lecture Hall, on the subject: "Resolved, That the French Government should adopt a scheme granting pensions to superannuated workmen."

The Junior team, which will support the affirmative, is composed of E. B. Stern, A. Davis, and I. L. Sharfman, who will speak in the order named in both their main and rebuttal speeches. G. I. Lewis, J. S. Davis, and B. M. Nussbaum, who constitute the Sophomore team, will support the negative from choice. They will speak in the order named in their main speeches; but in the rebuttal, the order will be Davis, Lewis, and Nussbaum. Each speaker will be allowed twelve minutes for a main speech and five minutes for rebuttal.

Professor C. H. C. Wright '91, Professor C. J. Bullock, and A. S. Hills '00, instructor in public speaking, will judge the debate this evening. W. M. Shohl 1L. will be the chairman.

Both teams were chosen on March 15. Since then the Juniors have been working steadily under the direction of the coach, B. V. Kanaley 2L. On March 24, W. H. Pollak resigned from the team because of ill health; and E. B. Stern, the alternate, was appointed to take his place. No other alternate has been appointed.

Under the coaching of J. W. Plaisted 1L., the Sophomore team has been holding practice debates regularly about three times week with the second team, which is composed of G. W. Harris, W. J. Mack, and H. B. Platt, of whom H. B. Platt was last Friday appointed alternate.

Tonight's debate will decide the class championship, as the Juniors defeated the Seniors and the Sophomores defeated the Freshmen in the preliminary series last fall. Silver cups will be given to the members of the winning team.

The Pasteur Medal, founded by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1898 to be awarded in an annual debate on a subject drawn from contemporary French politics, will be awarded to the best speaker this evening.

The debate will be open to the public.