FINDING THE "PHILADELPHIA"

Mr. Furlong to Lecture in Union Living Room at 8.-Open to Members Only.

Mr. Charles Wellington Furlong, the artist and writer, will lecture on "The Greek Sponge-Divers of Tripoli and the Finding of the Frigate 'Philadelphia'" at 8 o'clock this evening in the Living Room of the Union. The talk will be illustrated by more than 80 slides, almost all from original photographs, which aim not only to present characteristic and unique scenes, but to display the elements of good composition from the artist's point of view.

By way of introduction Mr. Furlong will review the conditions in the Mediterranean which led to our wars against the Barbary pirates, during which the Frigate "Philadelphia" was seized by the Tripolitans and recaptured and burnt by Lieutenant Decatur in Tripoli harbor in 1804.

This he will follow with an account of the adventurous and little known vocation of the Greek sponge-divers off the Tripoli coast, who aided in the search for the "Philadelphia", and finally he will tell about his discovery of the wreck in 1904.

Mr. Furlong has spent several years of travel and research in Northern Africa, and principally in the least known district, Tripoli. In 1904 he was the first American in two years to enter the town. There he devoted especial attention to bringing to light the circumstances of the expedition against the Corsairs.

The lecture will be open only to members of the Union.