Work of Crews Yesterday

Yesterday afternoon the University crew rowed as well as it has at any time this year. In a brisk paddle down stream to a quarter of a mile beyond the Longwood bridge, the boat spaced well between strokes, which averaged about 30 a minute. The men caught the water with a vigor and pressed hard on their foot-braces at the beginning of each stroke. Flint at bow rowed in his usual smooth form. The four stern men have varied very little in their excellent work for more than a month. Filley at 8 has a good sense of time. Newhall who rows 7 has shown steady improvement throughout the year and backs up the stroke with a clean and smooth form. Number 6, R. Bacon, has developed since last year into one of the most powerful oarsmen in the boat.

Today the University crew will probably have a time trial over the 1 and 7-8 miles course, as the last hard row in preparation for the race on Friday. Second Crew Defeated Union Boat Club.

The University second defeated the Union Boat Club eight by five lengths yesterday afternoon in a practice race of about a mile and 550 yards up stream from the Union Boat Club. The second gained a length at the start and gradually increased its lead until the finish. The University second crew maintained a fast stroke throughout the race reaching as high as 35, to the minute in the final spurt. Swaim, who was laid off last week, was again in the boat at 6, and Tilton and Mason of the Sophomore crew rowed 3 and 2 respectively as on Saturday.