UNION DURING PAST YEAR

Review of Changes and Innovations.--Its Growth and Prospects.

By J. D. Eliot .

The past year, the fifth of its existence, has been the most successful year in the history of the Union. In its first three years the Union was largely an experiment. In 1904-05 several fundamental improvements were made. These gave the Union a more definite place in the University. It was more and more recognized as the natural social centre of the whole University rather than a club, with an exclusive membership. During the past year the improvements made in 1904-05 have been well extended, and better worked out in detail. This more complete carrying out of the innovations begun in 1904-05, together with such changes as placing the dues on the term bills improvements in the dining room and library, and the adoption of a new constitution, has made the Union stronger and more useful than it ever has been before.

The placing of the membership dues on the term bills probably assures the future success of the Union; for experience during the past year has shown that this method of paying membership fees solves the greatest problem which confronts the Union--the financial problem. Two changes were made in the dining room during the year which has just closed. Colored waiters were introduced; and music by an orchestra of four pieces has been provided during the luncheon and dinner hours. Smoking has been permitted throughout the three rooms in the library, rather than in the North room only; and an arrangement has been made by which members are allowed to take books from the library, for temporary use in any part of the building. The constitution now in operation was adopted last March. It is a working, feasible constitution, framed on actual experience. It has centralized the management of the Union, besides doing away with technicalities which made the running of the Union, besides doing away with technicalities which made the running of the Union a uselessly complicated matter, due to the fact that the old constitution was drawn up without experience, and without precedent.

The Class Day Spread in the Union a year ago, an innovation carried out by the 1906 officers of the Union, was a great success, and proved a most enjoyable and useful addition to the list of Class Day festivities. A luncheon for President Roosevelt on Commencement Day last year was equally successful. Several minor changes in the arrangements for the 1907. Union dance, held early this spring, made that event even more pleasant than the 1906 Union dance was last year. Indeed, the Junior dance in the Union seems now to have become a distinct part of the social life of the University.

As in previous years, a well arranged series of lectures on topics of timely interest has been given in the Union. The Union has also been used for mass meetings for the different University and class teams; for a series of informal Sophomore class dinners; for "pop nights" and class smokers; and for meetings of such smaller organizations as the various debating and departmental clubs.

But the most striking and encouraging thing about the Union in the past year has been its large and inclusive membership (it has never had so many members); and the use which this membership has made of this splendid institution. The Union is no longer regarded simply as a convenient place in which to hold meetings or lectures. It is a place to "drop around to" for a meal, to read and study, to get telegraphic in which Harvard teams are competing, or to meet one's friends. The great and surprisingly varied possibilities of the Union are being realized more and more by members of all departments in the University. Men are joining it, and using it, not from any feeling of sentimental loyalty, but because the Union is, in and of itself, an institution "distinctly worth while."