Annual Report of Brooks House

The report of the work done at Phillips Brooks House during the past year has been issued by J. M. Groves '05, graduate secretary. It includes reports of the Phillips Brooks House Association and of all the societies affiliated with it and a short account of the Harvard Mission.

The Phillips Brooks House Association has done very effective work during the year. A new undertaking, which proved most successful, was the plan of Sunday afternoon gatherings, arranged for the benefit of men who spend Sundays in Cambridge. These "open house" afternoons were in charge of committees of ten men each from the four classes, serving in rotation.

The Social Service Committee, of which A. N. Holcombe '06 was chairman, did much effective work. During the year, about 100 men were put at work in various forms of social service, such as attending juvenile courts and acting as volunteer probation officers in Cambridge; coaching in fencing, boxing basketball, football, and baseball at South End House and the North Bennett Street Industrial School, and managing boys' clubs in various settlement houses in Boston and Cambridge.

The fall clothing collection, conducted by D. C. Hyde '06, was the largest fall collection ever received. Fifteen cases of clothing and a number of smaller lots were sent to various institutions. About two tons of books and magazines were also distributed among hospitals, homes, ships and sailors' reading rooms.