Summer Golf by Harvard Men

During the summer W. C. Chick '05 won numerous golf events. On July 4 he won the principal cup at the Tedesco Country Club and received the gross prize in the qualifying round with a card of 83. In the tournament for the Samuel Ivers cup held on August 10 at Poland Springs he defeated W. S. Harlan of Washington, 2 up and 1 to play. Later Chick covered the Poland Springs course in 68, thus going under both the amateur and professional records. On September 4 he won the gross score prize at Tedesco, making the 18 holes in 81.

In the second round of the tournament for the national amateur championship held in July at Englewood, H. C. Egan '05 was defeated by G. S. Lyon, amateur champion of Canada, the match not being decided until the twentieth hole. Lyon was defeated in the final match by E. M. Byers. On July 26 Egan covered 36 holes at Ekwanok in 151, thus equalling the record made last season by A. L. White '06. On August 4 he established a new amateur record of 151 on the Homewood Country Club, and a week later won the Mayflower cup at Onwentsia by defeating R. E. Hunter, Midlothian Country Club, 5 up and 4 to play. W. E. Egan '05 won the Onwentsia medal play cup with a card of 150 for 36 holes, thus equalling the record held by H. C. Egan '05.

P. Gilbert '08 made the best gross score, 82, in the Fourth of July tournament at Brae Burn Country Club, and in the qualifying round for the August cup on the same course covered the 18 holes in 81 strokes, the lowest score of the tournament. H. H. Wilder '09 was defeated by H. R. Johnstone of Myopia Hunt Club, 1 up, in the semi-final round for the Crocker-McKee trophy at Manchester. Johnstone later won the tournament.