ALUMNI PLANS APPROVED

Graduate Headquarters Organized.--New Office for E. H. Wells '97.

The report of the special committee of the Alumni Association on the establishment of permanent headquarters in Boston was last night received and accepted by the Board of Directors of the Association. The general outline of the report was printed in the CRIMSON of January 3. The board elected as general secretary of the alumni Mr. E. H. Wells '97, the present assistant dean of the College and secretary of appointments. As soon as a successor can be found, Mr. Wells will resign his position as assistant dean, but will remain secretary of appointments, and will retain his membership of the Faculty, of the College Administrative Board and of the committee on admission. By arrangement with the Corporation, work now being done in keeping track of its alumni will be turned over to this new officer, and with it all allowances for salaries, clerk-hire, and expenses now made by the University for those purposes. This means that the University not only fully approves of the scheme, but gives valuable financial support and assures an easy approach to official sources of information.

The headquarters will be at 50 State street, Boston, and will occupy four rooms of the building which is used by the Board of Overseers. Besides having all past University reports, publications, indexes, annuals, and catalogues, the office will also make complete the admirable collection of Harvardiana now gathered in the library of the Harvard Club of New York.

This new office will be used to arrange, assist, and advise the initiation of all movements depending for success on the co-operation of the alumni, such as the better observance of Commencement Day, plans for endowments of professorships, buildings, and scholarships; and sometimes to check unsuitable movements.

As before mentioned, the general secretary will publish the Quinquennial Catalogue, will be editor-in-chief of the Bulletin, and will compile a complete list of living alumni with the addresses.

The necessary financial support, which was undertaken by Mr. I. T. Burr '79, has been obtained, and twenty-four classes have agreed to share the expenses.