Entrance Board Examinations

The Committee on Admission has published its announcement for 1907 concerning the examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board which may be substituted for Harvard entrance examinations. All the subjects in which the Board offers examinations, except Spanish and Drawing, may now be presented by a candidate for admission into Harvard College. Spanish is not an admission subject for Harvard, and the Board's examination in Drawing is not considered the equivalent to the Harvard College examination.

The CRIMSON published last year a list of the subjects which might be substituted for the Harvard examinations. The subjects which have been added this year to the list of subjects for entrance which may be taken either in the Harvard or Board examinations, are as follows:

For the Harvard Elementary Botany (1 point), the Board examination in Botany may be substituted; for the Harvard Elementary Zoology (1 point), the Board examination in Zoology; for the Harvard Elementary Geography (1 point), the Board examination in Geography. The candidate will be required to take a laboratory examination in Cambridge in the above subjects, not later than the autumn of the year in which he enters College. He will also be required to present, at the hour of the laboratory examination, a note-book in which he has recorded the steps and results of his laboratory exercises. This note-book must bear the endorsement of his teacher, certifying that the notes are a true record of the pupil's work.

For the Harvard examination in Harmony (2 points), the Board examination in Music--(b) Harmony--may be substituted; for the Harvard examination in Counterpoint (2 points), the Board examination in Music--(c) Counterpoint.

In Latin the candidate may substitute, in any one year, the following examinations of the Board in both Elementary and Advanced Latin: (d) Virgil's Aeneid, Books I-VI; (e) prose composition (advanced); (p) advanced sight translation of prose; (q) sight translation of poetry. A candidate offering the papers of this group, who is unable to pass in both Elementary and Advanced Latin, may yet show knowledge sufficient to receive credit in Elementary Latin.