1910 Debating Club Smoker Tonight

The Freshman debating club will hold a smoker in the debating rooms of Dane Hall at 7.30 o'clock this evening. It will be open to members of the club and to all Freshmen intending to join. The purpose of the meeting is to bring men together as a preparation for the work of the second half-year. After the smoker the regular weekly debate will be held on the question: "Resolved, That United States senators should be elected by direct vote of the people."

The work of the club for the past three months has been very successful, its membership having steadily increased to the present total of 70 active members. It is equally divided into two "camps," led by captains "who choose the subjects for the weekly debates. An experienced upperclassman acts as critic and the subjects relate to College questions or current events. Thus far the "camps" have won equal numbers of debates. Next Wednesday the election of officers for the second half-year will be held.

Questions for the next three debates have been chosen as follows:

January 16--"Resolved, That the principle of the state referendum should be adopted."

January 23--"Resolved, That the policy of the United States should be to give ultimately the Philippine Islands their independence."

January 30--"Resolved, That student managers should be elected by the student body."