FIRST BASKETBALL GAME

With Tufts in Gymnasium at 8 o'clock.--Close Game Expected.

The first game of the University basketball team's schedule will be played with Tufts in the Gymnasium at 8 o'clock this evening. Admission to the game will be 50 cents, but season tickets at $2 for eight games will be on sale at the door.

Judging from the practice of the past week and of the week before the recess, the chances of the University team are good, although a close contest is expected. In basket shooting the team is unusually weak, Amberg at centre being the only reliable man. The forwards are inclined to attempt long shots and often fail on easy chances. Captain Burnham and Brooks both play a fast game, covering their men well and handling the ball with accuracy. The team work has improved steadily, but all the men are still weak in passing.

Tufts has made a good showing so far this year, having defeated the Brown team by a score of 18 to 15. The team is largely made up of new men, but they have all had considerable experience on preparatory school teams.

The teams will probably line up as follows: HARVARD.  TUFTS. Broun, l.f.  r.f., Kimball, Boyd Currie, r.f.  l.f., Seede, Dustin Amberg, c.  c., Knight Burnham, l.g.  r.g., Dwelley Brooks, r.g.  l.g., Wallace

The practice of the University team last night showed considerable improvement over the last few days. A short game was played in which the first team won by a score of 32 to 7. The defense of the first team prevented the second from scoring more than three goals from the floor, while the forwards of the first team scored sixteen.