Harvard Professors Prominent in Lowell Institute Courses

Fifteen Harvard professors and instructors will give courses of lectures in the Lowell Institute this year. Five of the twelve public lecture courses on popular subjects given in Huntington Hall will be by Harvard men and all of the six Kings Chapel courses on current problems in theology.

The first course by a Harvard professor will be one on "The National Powers; the Rights of the States; the Liberties of the People," by F. J. Stimson '76, professor of comparative legislation in the Law School and formerly advisory counsel to the United States Industrial Commission. These lectures will be given in Huntington Hall on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8 P. M., beginning on Tuesday, October 15.

Professor Josiah Royce of the philosophy department will give six lectures on "The Philosophy of Loyalty," on Mondays and Thursdays, beginning Monday, November 18.

Professor M. H. Morgan '81, professor of classical philology, will give eight lectures on "The Private Life of the Romans," on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 8, beginning Wednesday, January 8, 1908.

Professor T. W. Richards '86, of the chemistry department, will give a course of eight lectures on "The Early History and Recent Developments of the Atomic Theory," on Mondays and Thursdays, beginning on Monday, February 17.

Professor A. B. Hart '80, will give eight lectures on "The Real South," on Tuesdays and Fridays, beginning on Tuesday, February 18.

In the free lecture series maintained by the Lowell Institute in the Teachers' School of Science Mr. Albert P. Morse Sp. '07 will give a series of "Field Lessons in Zoology," and Professor D. W. Johnson will give a series of "Laboratory Lessons in Geology."

The two new collegiate courses of instruction will both be given by Harvard instructors. Professor C. H. Haskins will give a course on Monday and Wednesday evenings which will be similar to History 1a. Mr. C. T. Copeland '82 will give, on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, a course in English Literature and Composition, which will closely resemble English A. These courses commenced on Monday in the buildings of the Harvard Medical School, and will continue until June with vacations at Christmas and Easter.

The six courses of Kings Chapel lectures on current problems in theology will be given by the following professors from the Harvard Divinity School: Professor E. Emerton '71, Dean W. W. Fenn '84, Professor E. C. Moore, Professor G. F. Moore, Professor D. G. Lyon, and Professor C. H. Toy. The lectures of these courses will be given on successive Monday afternoons at 2.30 o'clock, beginning on November 11, with a two weeks' recess at Christmas.

Professor D. G. Lyon will give the first course of three lectures, beginning on November 11, on "Recent Discoveries in Palestine." Professor Toy's series of three lectures on "The Formation of the Hebrew Psalter" will follow on December 2, 9, and 16. After Christmas the first lectures will be two by Rev. Professor E. C. Moore on "The Nature of Christianity in the Far East." Professor G. F. Moore will give two lectures on January 20 and 27 on "The Origin of Religion," and he will be followed on February 3 and 10 by Dean W. W. Fenn '84, whose subject will be "Revelation." The concluding series of four lectures, ending on March 9, will be on "Early Reformation Thought," by Professor E. Emerton '71.