FRESHMEN LOSE TO EXETER

1911 Team Shows Up Well.--Exeter Won, 6-0, Through Trick Play.

Saturday afternoon the football team of the Phillips Exeter Academy defeated the Freshmen on Soldiers Field, by the score of 6 to 0. Exeter's touchdown was the result of a familiar trick play. At the beginning of the second half Cutler kicked off to Lewis, who ran the ball back twenty yards and then returned the kick to the middle of the field, where Loftus recovered it and carried it over the line. Lewis kicked the goal. With the exception of the touchdown, the game was devoid of sensational features, and the onside kicks and forward passes proved unsuccessful without an exception.

On both offense and defense the Freshmen were superior, and the only serious weaknesses that the 1911 team displayed were the poor work of its quarterbacks and frequent fumbling. Corbett was the star of the Freshman team; he was down under every punt and no gains were made around his end. Sprague, before his knee was injured, played well. Smith followed the ball well and was excellent on defense, while Cutler's kicking was very good. For Exeter, Lewis and Boylan did the best work.

The summary: HARVARD 1911.  EXETER. Corbett, l.e.  r.e., Baker Oveson, l.t.  r.t., Knischwitz, Selden Dunlap, l.g.  r.g., Powers Smith, c.  c., Downing Barbour, O'Hare, r.g.  l.g., Wilson Harding, r.t.  l.t., Thomas Crowley, Rogers, r.e.  l.e., Boylan Davis, Case, Daly, Johnson, q.b.  q.b., Sharon, Loftus Pope, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Curtis, Ross Leslie, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Harding, Burns Sprague, Cutler, f.b.  f.b., MacKay, Burns

Score--Exeter, 6; Harvard Freshmen, 0. Touchdown -- Loftus. Goal from touchdown--Lewis. Umpire -- Stevenson Field judge--Andrews. Referees--Palmer and Short. Linesmen--McNeil and Blanchard. Timer--Lathrop. Time--20-minute halves.