JOHN HARVARD ANNIVERSARY.

At the meeting of the committee and marshals tonight the John Harvard anniversary, originated by the Memorial Society, will be launched as an undergraduate movement. It is therefore very important that the men who have been chosen to assist in making the celebration a success should begin by showing an active interest in the plans.

It is hardly necessary to set forth the fitness of such a celebration. Although 200 years may be an arbitrary period, we are accustomed to recognize centennials and their multiples as appropriate occasions to recall to memory the most important events of history; and surely in Harvard traditions the birth of the man whose generosity to the struggling "school" earned him the honor of having this great University bear his name is an occasion worthy of suitable recognition.

However excellent and appropriate the plans for this anniversary celebration may be, they cannot be successful without the support of large numbers of graduates and undergraduates. These plans are on a scale which the occasion warrants; but unless everyone enters heartily into the spirit of the affair and feels a personal responsibility to participate as far as possible in the accompanying festivities, the real value of observing the anniversary will be lost.