FIRST TEAM SCORES TWICE

25-Minute Scrimmage With Freshmen Results in a Punting Contest.

The University eleven was given a 25-minute scrimmage with the Freshmen yesterday afternoon and, although scoring two touchdowns against them, was by no means greatly superior. Punts were exchanged on almost every other play. Burr had the advantage over Cutler, but, nevertheless, was unable to keep the ball within striking distance of the Freshmen's goal. The backfield work of the University eleven was weak and most of Cutler's punts were poorly handled. The Freshman ends got down the field well under every punt and their tackling spoiled all chances of running the ball back for any gain.

At times the University team showed signs of its hard rushing ability, the first touchdown being made after steady pounding through the Freshman guards and tackles from the 25-yard line.

Wendell put up a very strong game at fullback on the University eleven. He bucked the line hard and his interference on end plays and blocking off on Burr's punts was excellent. Burr was in every play and frequently pulled the backs along for a further gain after they were tackled. Cutler, Rodgers, and Corbett, the ends, played the best game for the Freshmen.

Burr kicked off to Leslie who was downed on the Freshmen's 10-yard line. After regaining the ball on a punt the first team carried it by several rushes and one onside kick to the 2-yard line, but a penalty for holding set the ball back 15 yards. Burr then tried a goal from placement which was unsuccessful. After the subsequent punt-out, Gilbert made a 30-yard run around left end, and the remaining 20 yards was covered in three line plays, Wendell scoring. The rest of the scrimmage was almost entirely taken up with punting. The second touchdown was made by Gilbert on a forward pass, after the recovery of a punt on the Freshmen's 15-yard line.

In the preliminary work the linemen were alternately given offensive and defensive work, which consisted mainly in blocking off and holding for Burr's punts. The defense was weak and, although some excellent individual work was shown, the offense had little difficulty in breaking through. Newhall and Lockwood were in football clothes yesterday, and ran through signals with the team.

The line-up in the scrimmage was as follows: UNIVERSITY TEAM.  FRESHMAN TEAM. Browne, M. C. Peirce, l.e.  r.e., Rodgers, King Burr, Kennard, l.t.  r.t., Oveson Parker, l.g.  r.g., Eaton, Blodgett Grant, Barney, c.  c., Smith, McNider W. Peirce, Brock, r.g.  l.g., Dunlap, Bush Inches, r.t.  l.t., Jowett Muedonald, Forster, r.e.  l.e., Corbett, Sohier Starr, Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Johnson, Davis Gilbert, l.h.b. r.h.b.,  Pope, Fage, Peabody Rand, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Leslie Wendell, Apollonio, f.b.  f.b., Cutler, Sprague