Afternoon and Saturday Courses for Teachers

The following is a revised announcement of the afternoon and Saturday courses for teachers given by professors in the University. The courses indicated are intended primarily for teachers in service, women as well as men, and will be given between November 1 and April 1 of the academic year, 1907-1908. A circular giving fuller descriptions of these courses will be mailed on application to Professor P. H. Hanus, 15 Phillips place, Cambridge.

Botany--The structure, habits and uses of flowering plants. Professor G. L. Goodale, Saturday mornings at 10, beginning November 2.

Economics--Introductory course in economic theory and history. Professor E. F. Gay and Assistant Professor C. J. Bullock, Friday afternoons at 4.30.

Education--Secondary Education at home and abroad, critical study of modern views, programs of study. Lectures and discussions. Professor Hanus, Friday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 1.

Education--General principles of education and programs of study. Assistant Professor Norton, Thursday afternoons at 4.30, beginning October 31.

English--The Romantic Movement in English poetry in the beginning of the Nineteenth Century. Professor Nellson, Monday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 4.

English--English composition studied in the work of certain masters of prose from the Seventeenth Century to the present day. Mr. W. R. Castle, Jr., Friday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 1.

Fine Arts--Modern landscape painting, with special reference to the work of Turner. Mr. A. Pope, Saturday mornings at 11.30, beginning November 2.

French--Grammar, composition, translation, and explanation of texts. Associate Professor de Sumichrast, Saturday mornings, beginning November 2.

Geography--The physiography of the lands--elementary course. Dr. G. R. Mansfield, Friday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 1.

Government--Principles of American government, national, state, and local. Professor A. B. Hart, Friday afternoons at 4.30.

Greek--Lucian.--Studies in Greek prose of the Roman period. Assistant Professor Gulick, Saturday mornings at 9, beginning November 2.

Latin--Latin composition, study of idiom and practice in translation. Dr. Pease, Friday afternoons at 4, beginning November 1.

Music--Fifteen lectures on the grammar of music (harmony and elementary counterpoint). Mr. W. C. Heilman, Saturday mornings from 11.15 to 12.30, beginning November 9.

Music--Fifteen lectures on the structure and contents of instrumental music from the standpoint of the listener. Professor R. Spalding, Saturday mornings from 9.45 to 11, beginning November 9.

Philosophy--Introduction to Ethics. (Ideals and the reason for their choice. Ethics of individualism. What constitutes welfare? The moral training of the young. The relations between morality and religion.) Professor Royce. Thirty lectures on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 7. This course was previously announced for Wednesday and Friday.

Physical Education -- A condensed course, and methods of teaching, administration, and management of physical training and athletics in schools, colleges, and various institutions. Dr. D. A. Sargent., Friday afternoons at 4.30, beginning November 1.

Public Speaking--Oral reading and platform speaking. Twenty lectures. Assistant Professor I. L. Winter and Mr. B. G. Willard, Saturdays from 11 to 1, beginning November 2.

Courses given at the Harvard Medical School in co-operation with the Lowell Institute--two evenings a week and a third hour for conferences throughout the year:

European History (identical with History 1 in the College). Professor Haskins, Mondays and Wednesdays.

English literature and composition. Mr. Copeland. Tuesdays and Thursdays.