HARVARD, 30; MAINE, 0

Better Forward Passing and Fewer Penalties Than on Wednesday.

The University eleven defeated the University of Maine team last Saturday by the score of 30 to 0, in a game replete with long runs and sensational plays. The Harvard defensive line showed up well, and with more practice together they should develop into a strong combination.

The forward passes were handled better than in the game with Bowdoin last Wednesday, and fewer penalties were inflicted. The features of the game were Lockwood's two long runs, one of 45 yards and the other of 60 yards for a touchdown, and Gilbert's run of 35 yards for a touchdown. As a whole, the team's work was very promising.

The substitute ends, Bird and Forster, and Inches, who substituted Hoar at right tackle, put up fully as good a game as the first string men. Inches was down the field well under punts and was right after the ball all the time. Burr played his new position at tackle well, but was considerably handicapped by his inexperience in that position. Grant at centre played a very quick game, followed the ball well and blocked a kick which Inches secured for a touchdown. Starr, who started at quarterback, ran the team with life and dash and ran back punts for substantial gains. Lockwood showed great improvement over his work in the Bowdoin game and that of last year; and if he continues to play as hard and fast a game as he did yesterday, he should prove a most valuable back. Gilbert's main trouble was his inability to keep his feet. Several times he slipped and fell when he had a clear field before him. Butt's work at fullback was very crude, his fumbles being frequent and costly. Waterbury, who succeeded him, made some excellent gains through the line.

Captain Higgins was the star player of the Maine team. He was the mainstay of their secondary defense, which was usually obliged to stop the Harvard backs. Maine showed poor judgment in receiving on every kick-off, for the ball was thus always in their territory and they were not strong enough to rush it out.

The First Half in Detail.

Captain Higgins of Maine won the toss and chose the south goal. Burr kicked off to Miner on the 15-yard line, but Harvard was offside and the ball was called back. Burr then kicked to Cobb, who ran the ball back to the 27-yard line. Bearse gained three yards through right guard, and Cobb followed with seven around left end, but Maine was penalized 15 yards for holding. Higgins gained one yard through right tackle and then punted to Lockwood who fumbled on Harvard's 40-yard line, Maine recovering the ball. Cobb gained eight yards through left tackle and then tried the same place again but failed to gain, Peirce and Hoar upsetting the play. Cobb made an on-side kick to Starr who was downed on Harvard's 37-yard line.

Butt was tackled for loss by Metcalf on an end run. Burr gained 18 yards by a forward pass to Hoar on the middle line. Butt gained four yards through centre, but lost the ball on a fumble. Higgins gained three yards and then passed forward to Starr, who was tackled by Metcalf on Harvard's 27-yard line. Gilbert gained three yards around right end on a delayed pass. Waterbury failed to gain and Harvard was penalized 10 yards. Burr punted to Higgins, who was downed by Kennard on Harvard's 51-yard line. Higgins gained 15 yards in three tackle plays. Cobb then tried a goal from placement, but the ball fell short, Starr picking it up and running to the 26-yard line. On a double pass, Gilbert made a 44-yard gain around left end, and started Harvard off for the first touchdown. Waterbury gained eight through left tackle. Lockwood gained 22 on a delayed pass. Waterbury gained 12 in two rushes and in two more, the final eight yards, after Gilbert's failure to gain on a delayed pass. Parker kicked the goal.

Lockwood received the kick-off and ran the ball back to the 35-yard line. Gilbert gained three yards around right end. Waterbury's double pass was fumbled and Harvard lost 15 yards on a penalty. Burr punted to Miner, who was tackled by Inches on Maine's 50-yard line. Burr broke through and tackled Higgins for a 4-yard loss on an end play. Cobb failed to gain around left end. Higgins punted to Lockwood, who ran 60 yards along the side lines for Harvard's second touchdown. Parker kicked the goal.

With five minutes to play, Burr kicked off to Bearse, who was downed on the 16-yard line. Maine gained four yards and punted, but recovered the ball in the next play on a fumbled forward pass. Cobb made an on-side kick, which was also recovered, and then kicked again to Starr, who ran from the 47 to the 30-yard line with good interference. Lockwood and Gilbert then tried a criss-cross pass which failed to work. On a fake punt, Lockwood gained 15 yards to Maine's 53-yard line, but it was Maine's ball on downs. Cobb tried an on-side kick which was blocked and downed by Peirce on Maine's 45-yard line as time was called. Score, 12-0.

The Second Half, Play by Play.

Cobb opened the second half by kicking to Bird, who ran eight yards to the 35-yard line. Burr punted but the ball was fumbled. Gilbert picked it up and ran 35 yards for a touchdown, using the straight arm to great advantage. Parker kicked the goal, after the ball had been punted out by Starr.

Burr kicked off to Clifford, who was downed on the 17-yard line. After Vickery had failed to gain, Higgins tried an on-side kick, which was blocked and which Inches, after a general scramble, fell on behind the line for the fourth touchdown. Parker again kicked the goal.

Burr kicked off to Higgins, who fumbled, and Maine lost the ball Burr's forward pass went over the goal line for a touchback, and on the punt-out from the 25-yard line, Waterbury caught the ball and ran to Harvard's 40-yard line. Another forward pass was tried, but Harvard was penalized for off-side play. Newhall made an on-side kick to A. Cook, who passed forward to Vickery, but Maine was penalized and Higgins punted to Newhall on Maine's 25-yard line. After two forward passes, in which the ball changed hands, and two centre plays by Waterbury which gained seven yards, Gilbert scored the last touchdown on a delayed pass. Gilbert also kicked the goal.

Fish then kicked off to A. Cook on the 25-yard line. Vickery gained four yards through right tackle, and Higgins punted to Newhall on Harvard's 50-yard line. A forward pass from Waterbury to Gilbert gained 10 yards. Inches, running from position, gained three yards through right tackle. Waterbury gained six through the same place, but the ball was brought back 15 yards for holding. Newhall's on-side kick to Waterbury went outside on Maine's 50-yard line, and his forward pass was secured by Maine on their 20-yard line. Vickery made a double forward pass to Higgins which gained 25 yards. A. Cook recovered a blocked on-side kick and ran around right end, but with three yards loss. Vickery gained two yards around left end. Waterbury received Higgins' punt. Inches gained 10 yards through tackle. Gregory's on-side kick was caught by Gilmore, who downed it on Maine's 30-yard line. The game ended with the ball in Maine's possession on their 15-yard line, after Newhall's forward pass.

Score--Harvard, 30; University of Maine, 0. Touchdowns--Gilbert 2, Inches, Lockwood, Waterbury. Goals from touchdowns--Parker 4, Gilbert. Referee--H. H. Hackett, West Point. Umpire--W. W. Maurice, University of Pennsylvania. Field Judge--F. Burleigh, Exeter. Timer--F. A. Wood, B. A. A. Time--20 and 15 minute halves.

The teams lined up as follows:HARVARD.  MAINE.Kennard, Bird, l.e.  r.e., Metcalf, CliffordBurr, Fish, l.t.  r.t., WhiteParker, Gilmore, l.g.  r.g., Black, DuramGrant, Nourse, c.  c., MasonPeirce, r.g.  l.g., WrightHoar, Inches, r.t.  l.t., Ham, GilpatrickMacdonald, Forster, r.e.  l.e., Cavanaugh, H. J. CookStarr, Newhall, q.b.  q.b., Miner, A. CookLockwood, Gregory, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Cobb, VickeryGilbert, r.h.b.  l.h.b., HigginsButt, Waterbury, f.b.  f.b., Bearse, Lorin