TENNIS TEAM WON SINGLES

Niles and Dabney Survive Pell and Gardner in the Doubles.

Only Harvard men remain in the singles of the intercollegiate lawn tennis championship at Haverford, Pennsylvania. All four members of the team won their matches Saturday and will compete together in the semi-finals at their own convenience. The team suffered its only defeat so far in the tournament by losing one of the matches in the doubles. Niles and Dabney, however, won their match and are the favorites for the championship match which will be played today.

In the singles Niles and Gardner had comparatively little trouble in winning from Tilden of Pennsylvania and Philler of Pennsylvania respectively. Pell had a close match with Bundy of Yale, the second set going to deuce three times before the former could win. Dabney lost the second set of his match with Register of Pennsylvania, but took the other two with ease.

Niles and Dabney won their way into the finals of the doubles by defeating Philler and Thayer of Pennsylvania, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4. Pell and Gardner were defeated without much difficulty by Gerlach and Gordon of Princeton, 6-2, 6-4. The Princeton pair excelled in lobbing.

The summary:

Singles. Third Round--N. W. Niles '09 beat H. M. Tilden, Pennsylvania, 6-3, 6-4; C. C. Pell '08 beat N. H. Bundy, Yale, 6-3, 9-7, G. P. Gardner, Jr., '10 beat R. M. Philler, Pennsylvania, 6-2, 6-1; A. S. Dabney, Jr., '09 beat H. B. Register, Pennsylvania, 6-1, 1-6, 6-2.

Doubles. Semi-final Round--W. Gerlach and S. Gordon, Princeton, beat C. C. Pell '08 and G. P. Gardner, Jr., '10, 6-2, 6-4; N. W. Niles '09 and A. S. Dabney, Jr., '09 beat R. M. Philler and A. Thayer, Pennsylvania, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.