PROF. BAKER SAILS TODAY

From New York for Paris--Will Lecture at Univ. of Paris of English Drama.

Professor G. P. Baker '87, of the Department of English, will sail from New York for Paris this morning, where he will give a series of lectures on "The Development of English Tragedy and Comedy between 1590 and 1800." These lectures will be given for the most part at the University of Paris, and will begin some time in December and continue, into the following spring. It is not yet certain whether Professor Baker will speak before the provincial universities as did Professor Wendell and Professor Coolidge in the past two years.

During his absence English 39, a course on English drama from 1642 to 1900, will be omitted; but Professor Baker will in all probability return to this country next spring and resume his course in the fall. The lectures which he will give at the University of Paris will undoubtedly be published later in book form Professor Baker is one of the younger members of the College Faculty. He has been connected with the department of English ever since he graduated in 1887. In 1895 he was made an Assistant Professor and in 1905 Professor of English. He has published a number of books, among which are: "Specimens of Argumentation," "Lyly's Endymion," "A Midsummer Night's Dream," edited for a series of school classics, "Principles of Argumentation," "The Revolving Hedge," and "The Development of Shakespeare as a Dramatist." Professor Baker has written also articles for the Graduates' Magazine, the Harvard Monthly and the American University Magazine. He has given several lectures, chiefly on the modern drama, at Smith College, Wellesley College, and other places near Boston.