MEMORIAL HALL.

The position of Memorial Hall in the University is a peculiar one--one which is regulated largely by economic conditions. At present the membership of the Hall is less by several hundred than its actual capacity would permit, and the price of board for those who exercise little restraint over their choice is higher than seems warranted. This high price deters many men from eating at the Hall, because they do not realize that the high price would be reduced if they joined, not as individuals--for one more or less would make little difference--but if all the men who are in doubt should turn to Memorial, the charges for the improved facilities would be more evenly distributed.

There are several causes which tend to increase the cost of board. The higher prices of staples which affect even the reduced contract prices which the H. D. A. enjoys is a material factor. The reduced number of men among whom the cost of the improvements is divided also appears in the balance sheet. Furthermore, there is a great variety of meats and desserts which leads to waste even although the help are served with a greater variety than is necessary. Lastly, the average cost of board is increased by men who are willing to obtain at any price the delicacies which appeal to them most on the menu.

Last year 58 per cent. of the members of the Hall secured board at less than $5.50 per week. There is no clear reason why a majority of the members should not eat at a cost not exceeding this figure, and if they can persuade their friends that the service and variety of Memorial Hall are worth the price charged, the membership should increase so as to reduce the price to a minimum. We should remember that Memorial Hall is primarily a University institution and that it deserves to receive general support; otherwise it will degenerate into a purely financial proposition. A wide interest is the only remedy for the criticisms with which the officers of the association are assailed, and this interest should be expressed not only by a larger membership, but by an increased attention to the management of the Hall. At present most of the criticisms are without foundation; but the general impression, however unfounded it may be, is detrimental to the best interests of the Hall.