LIGHT WORK FOR FIRST TEAM

Substitutes Played Second Eleven.--Campbell '02 to Coach Ends.

As is customary for Monday's practice, the University team was given light work yesterday and no scrimmage was held for the regular men. The linemen were given quick-starting practice and the ends ran down under Coach Leary's punts. In the signal practice, the entire time was given over to work on the forward pass with either Newhall or Wendell throwing the ball. Some excellent passes were made over the second team's line, against which the first was opposed for a part of the practice.

D. C. Campbell '02, left end of the University team in 1900, and end and captain of the victorious 1901 eleven, was on the field and watched carefully the work of the ends. Campbell is considered to be one of the best ends that the University has ever produced. His services were secured through Coach Crane, and on account of his great efficiency as a coach for ends, he should prove most valuable to that part of the team. He will be here for the rest of the week, and very probably until the season closes.

A scrimmage was held between the University substitutes and the second team, in which the substitutes had a slight advantage, but were unable to score until given an extra down on the second's 2-yard line. The end running of Glider and Cutting was the feature of the substitutes offense. Their defensive work in the line was, as a whole, stronger than the second's; although the second team twice held them for downs.

The ball was carried down to the second's 10-yard line, chiefly by means of end runs. Here the second eleven got the ball on a fumble and punted out of danger. Cutting ran 20 yards around left end, and the substitutes recovered two successive punts, thus getting the ball to the second's 15-yard line, where they were held by downs. M. Gilbert punted to the substitutes who returned the kick. The second team was then held for downs on its 15-yard line. By means of line plays the ball was rushed to the 2-yard line, where the second held. In the additional down which was given the substitutes, Starr, on a delayed pass, scored a touchdown through right tackle.

The teams lined up as follows: UNIVERSITY SUBSTITUTES.  SECOND TEAM. Browne, l.e.  r.e., Moore, Pirnie Hadden, l.t.  r.t., Comstock Gilmore, l.g.  r.g., Morris Nourse, c.  c., Dore Brock, r.g.  l.g., Ver Wiebe Inches, r.t.  l.t., M. Gilbert Houston, r.e.  l.e., Rodgers Gilder, q.b.  q.b., Galatti A. Gilbert, Starr, l.h.b.  r.h.b., White Cutting, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Butt Waterbury, f.b.  f.b., Gray

There will be secret practice this afternoon from 3.30 to 4.15, after which time the Stadium will be open to the public as usual.