MEDAL OF PRESIDENT ELIOT

Designed by Deschamps.--Ideas to Have a Memento of the College.

The commemorative medal of President Eliot by Deschamps has been completed, and copies of the medal have recently been put on sale, and may be obtained at the Co-operative Society, at the Union, at University 9, from E. H. Wells, Secretary of the Harvard Alumni Association, 50 State street, Boston; from Mr. John De La Mater, 515 Western Union Building, Chicago, III., and from the Secretary of the Harvard Club of New York. The price of the medals will be $5 each, which will approximately cover the cost of the medal, and the cost of importation and duties. They will be sold only to graduates and students of the University.

The plan of having the medal made originated at the meeting of the Associated Harvard Clubs in St. Louis in 1905, when it was proposed to have a medal struck which would combine in itself a portrait of President Eliot, and a memento of the College. The matter was taken up by Mr. Frederick A. Delano '85, and through the kindness of Mr. Henry Walter S. '74, the distinguished French medallist, Leon Deschamps, was engaged to design the medal. The above cuts illustrate the medal very well, and are accurate in size. President Eliot's portrait is on one side, and the Johnston gate, with Harvard Hall and the University seal, on the other.

Two thousand of the medals have been struck in bronze, and many of them have already been sold at the various Harvard clubs throughout the country. There are a number left, however, and if there is a demand for more, fresh dies will be prepared from the original placque, and new medals will be struck.