CROSS-COUNTRY TEAM WINS

Defeats Institute of Technology 27 to 53 on 4 1-2 Mile Course.

The University cross-country team defeated the Massachusetts Institute of Technology yesterday afternoon by the score of 27 to 53. M. S. Crosby '08 finished first, covering the four and one-half-mile course in 24m., 44 4-5s., which is 25 4-5s. more than the record for the course, made last year by Howland of Technology. In scoring, the first six men of each team were counted, each place counting according to its numerical value, the team with the smallest score winning. The University team won the first three, and the sixth, seventh and eighth places.

Crosby, Howland and MacCreadie took the lead at the start and kept it for about half a mile. At this point the men were well bunched. At the two-mile mark the same three men were leading, with Hadden fourth. About a mile further on the first four men were Crosby, Hadden, Dole and Lanier. A quarter of a mile from the finish the order was the same, when Hadden collapsed, bringing Dole, Lanier and MacCreadie up to second, third and fourth places respectively. The six members of the University team who scored, finished in the following order: 1, M. S. '10; 6, P. W. Carter '10; 7, M. H. Whitney '09; 8, R. F. Hoyt '10.

All of the men who ran yesterday will be taken on the training table which begins this morning at Memorial. The last two men to finish, Woodman and Brown, will have to run in the consolation race next Friday, and only the first two men will be taken on the training table. The consolation race will be open to any member of the University. Cups will be given to the winners of first and second places.

The order and individual times of the first eight men was as follows: 1, M. S. Crosby '08, 24m., 44 4-5s.; 2, R. E. Dole '10, 24m., 59s.; 3, C. Lanier '10, 25m., 6s.; 4, W. T. MacCreadie of Technology, 25m., 10s.; 5, A. Ellis of Technology, 25m., 16s.; 6, W. P. Carter '10, 25m., 16 1-5s.; 7, M. H. Whitney '09, 25m., 25s.; 8, R. F. Hoyt '10, 25m., 25 1-5s.

The cross-country team will compete with the Yale team at New Haven on November 13. This will be the first cross-country race that the University has held with Yale. Seven or nine men will be chosen from the present squad to compete.