FREEDOM OF SOLDIERS FIELD.

Is Soldiers Field a public park? If so, what right has the football team to the exclusive use of a part of it? If not, what right of admission have about half of the spectators at dally practice? Soldiers Field is essentially a University athletic fields set aside for the use of members of the University.

Since the professional baseball season terminated, a larger proportion of those who watch football practice are of the type known in baseball lore as "fans." Another unnecessary faction is the younger set of Cambridge and Boston uncertainties popularly known as "muckers." This decidedly extra-University element has certainly developed undesirable proportions. Theoretically there is no objection to orderly visitors who desire to watch our practice, but the unpleasant evidences of the tobacco chewing habit left in the Stadium by the older enthusiasts, and the utter disregard of the younger element for the rights of others, make their presence a nuisance. One afternoon last week a team composed of eleven schoolboys held practice in the area between the Locker Building and the Freshman gridiron. The owner of the football used may have been one of the players, but there is a bare possibility that it may have been the football association.

The CRIMSON believes that these annoyances could easily be eliminated, by requiring some salable means of identification from those entering the fields--either a Bursar's Card, H. A. A. ticket, or possibly a special form of ticket admitting members of the University on days when there are no games.