Purchase of Classical Antiquities

The collection of classical antiquities has recently acquired by purchase, gift and loan a large number of Greek and Roman antiquities.

The most important permanent accession is a collection of bronze implements and other objects illustrative of Roman life, purchased by Professor M. H. Morgan at Rome. Among the bronze pieces is a well-preserved statuette of a Lar; two small mirrors, one with an incised design; a small candelabrum; a ladle with a handle ending in two swans' heads; a razor and other utensils. The rest of the collection includes a large fragment of mosaic decorated with a comic mask and a model of a lock and key found at Pompeil.

Following is a list of the gifts: a votive head of terra-cotta from Veil, presented by Professor J. M. Paton; a large terra-cotta Roman lamp, presented by Mrs. Schuyler Rensselaer, of New York; a model of a Roman bit, presented by R. W. Lee '04; a small collection of amphora handles, terra-cotta ex-votos and brick-stamps from the neighborhood of Rome, presented by Dr. A. S. Pease.

In addition to the purchases and gifts the collection has received from G. A. Moriarty, as a loan, a large collection of Greek and Roman silver and bronze coins, including many specimens of Greek coins of the best period and an almost complete series of the silver coins of the early Roman emperors, together with some specimens of Roman glass and pottery.