Subject for Baldwin Prize

The subject for this year's competition for the William H. Baldwin Prize, offered annually by the Municipal League, is "The Relation of the Municipality to the Transportation Service." This prize, of $100, is awarded to the author of the best essay on a subject connected with municipal government. For this year the competition will be limited to undergraduates in American colleges which offer separate instruction in municipal government. Last year the prize was won by T. A. Thatcher, Yale '08, with honorable mention to A. E. Pinanski '08.

In the treatment of this subject competitors are expected to base their essays on original work, done preferably in their home towns. The topic should be considered to include elevated, underground; and street railways, but does not include the urban service of steam railways. Essays submitted by contestants must not exceed 10,000 words in length, and must be mailed or delivered to an express company not later than March 15, 1908, addressed to the "Chairman of the Committee of Judges, Care of C. R. Woodruff, Secretary of the National Municipal League, North American Building, Philadelphia," and marked for the "William H. Baldwin Prize." Competitors will also sign each essay with a nom de plume, and enclose in a separate sealed envelope the full name, address, college, and class corresponding to the nom de plume.