YALE GAME OFFICIALS.

The arrangements which resulted in an early choice of Yale game officials are indeed to be commended. Although the trouble last year reached the public in a distorted and exaggerated from, it is true that there was some undesirable friction. We do not believe that officials should be selected hastily or carelessly, but it is gratifying to learn that men satisfactory to the representatives of both Harvard and Yale were chosen at the first meeting at which the subject came up. In spite of occasional differences of opinion, such matters are regarded from much the same point of view by the graduates and undergraduates of both universities, and a prompt agreement upon a question so important as the selection of officials is a step in the right direction.

However helpful cheering at a game may be, we do not believe that the quality of routine football practice would be improved by mass meetings in the Stadium, as is suggested by a communication. The team is usually too busy with the work of the day to care to be distracted by watching the evolution of some new song. On the day before a big game, when the team is merely given light exercise, a demonstration of the kind referred to in the communication is an excellent thing, but football practice and singing practice will both be more successful if kept separate.