President Eliot Addresses Menorah

Last evening in Phillips Brooks House President Eliot addressed a meeting of the Harvard Menorah Society and representatives and the Jewish race from many of the New England colleges. He began by saying that Harvard University was founded for the search of truth and freedom, and that in this spirit the students of Semitic descent were received. The Jewsih race, he said, had a history piteous and full of pathos, and that it remembered three great captivities and times when it had had freedom only to think and hope, and but that now in this land it had found freedom both physical and intellectual. he said that the Jews had chosen and excellent place in this University for a seed ground for the development and spreading of their ideals, and that although their number was small, they should not be discouraged, as it was rapidly growing. President Eliot then pointed out that as result of their generations of hardship, they had lost their physique and martial spirit, and advised and them go to in for more out-of-door life and to enter and the militia. He gave them credit for two great qualities, their beautiful family life and their power of intelligently directed, assiduous, and judicious labor.