Second Cobden-Sanderson Lecture

Mr. T. J. Cobden-Sanderson delivered the second of his lectures on the printing, binding and decoration of books, last evening. The lecture was of a technical nature; the lecturer confined himself to the work of the "forwarder" or binder, and described the various processes by which the printed sheets are converted into the bound, but undecorated book.

The first process is that of folding the sheets, the next that of sewing them together, and this is accomplished by means of the sewing frame, which he described in detail. The whole is now shaped like a wedge, with the thick end towards the back. When hammered flat, the back is stiffened with glue, and the boards are fastened to the book by the projecting ends of the cords on which it was sewed. The leather then is pared to the right degree of thinness, and pasted on, the edges turned over inside, and covered with paper. The binding is now complete.

Mr. Cobden-Sanderson's third lecture will be delivered on Monday, December 9, at 8 o'clock, in the lecture room of Robinson Hall, and will be on the subject of the "Tooling and Decoration of the Book Beautiful," including a treatment of pattern-making.