Annual Report of Germanic Museum

The annual report of Professor Kuno Francke, as curator of the Germanic Museum, has recently been submitted to the Germanic Museum Association. It is largely given up to a description of the important accessions to the collections of Germanic art which have been received during the past year, mostly from German benefactors.

The fund which is being raised toward the building of a new museum amounts to about $27,000. The number of visitors to the museum has increased over 1000 during the year, the total number being about 25,000. In consequence of this large number of visitors it has been decided to open the museum on Saturdays, in addition to the days on which it has regularly been open before. From new on, therefore, the museum will be open to the public on Mondays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 9 to 5 o'clock, and on Thursdays and Sundays from 1 to 5 o'clock.

The report closes by emphasizing the absolute necessity for a new building within the near future. The present quarters are entirely filled and any more gifts that may be received must be declined for lack of room or stored until larger accommodations can be secured. Plans have been drawn for a new building, which, with a fund for its proper endowment, will cost about $300,000. The amount which is now on hand is not sufficient to warrant even the beginning of a building, and until further subscriptions are received, the movement for a new building will be at a standstill.