BASKETBALL WITH YALE

In Mechanics Hall at 8.--Yale Team Experienced and Severe Game Expected.

The University basketball team will play its third championship game of the season and the first of its two annual games with Yale at 8 o'clock this evening in Mechanics Hall, Boston. Tickets at $1 each for the floor and the first three rows of the balcony, and at 75 cents for other balcony seats, may be obtained until 5 o'clock this afternoon at the Co-operative, Leavitt & Peirce's, Amee's, the Rendezvous, and the office of the Athletic Association. After 7 o'clock tickets may be obtained at the door. Admission will be 50 cents.

The work of the University team this season has been very erratic. Harvard has won its two league games, defeating Cornell decisively by a score of 30 to 11, and winning a poorly played game with Princeton, 17 to 12. Of the other three games played, Harvard has won one, defeating Tufts in the first game of the season, 15 to 14, and has lost to Wesleyan, 15 to 14, and to Brown, 15 to 13. Yale has had a much longer schedule, having taken a Southern trip during the Christmas vacation, in which only two out of sixteen games were lost. In the intercollegiate series Yale has won all three games played, defeating Princeton, 29 to 20; Pennsylvania, 19 to 16; and Cornell, 26 to 21. Owing, therefore, to Yale's superior defence and greater experience, a hard game is expected.

Since last Saturday's game with Brown the University team has played two long practice games with the second team. The improvement in the offense was very encouraging. Yesterday afternoon the team held a short practice in Mechanics Hall in order to become familiar with the floor. Throughout the season the defense of the University team has been considerably stronger and more reliable than the offense. Captain Burnham, at guard, covers his opponent closely and is quick to take advantage of opportunities to score. Brooks, the other guard, occasionally fails to keep close to his man, but recovers the ball well and keeps it in the opponents' territory. Amberg, at centre, is a valuable man on the defense and the best basket-shooter on the team, although he seldom succeeds in long shots. Broun has retained his last year's position at right forward, and although very unreliable earlier in the season, has improved both in passing and basket-shooting during the past week. Left forward has been the weakest position on the team this year. Allen, Currie, and Downey have all failed to do satisfactory work until the last few days, during which Allen has shown rapid improvement.

Between the halves of the University game there will be a preliminary game between the fast Dorchester High School and East Boston High School teams. The University Glee Club will sing during the evening.

The probable line-up: HARVARD.  YALE. Allen, l.f.  r.g., Noyes, capt. Broun, r.f.  l.g., Murphy Amberg, c.  c., Van Vleck Burnham, capt., l.g,  r.f., Kinney Brooks, r.g.  l.f., Clifford