Special Number of Illustrated

By F. N. Robinson.

The February number of the "Harvard Illustrated Magazine" is dedicated to Professor William James, in recognition of his retirement from active teaching, and contains an interesting series of articles on his life and work. Mr. Hans von Kaltenborn gives a brief preliminary account of Professor James's career; Professor Munsterberg sets forth his special qualifications, both by nature and by training, for his work as a physiological psychologist; Professor R. B. Perry deals more generally with his attitude in philosophy and shows how "pragmatism" has been with him a matter both of temperament and of deliberate theory; and Professor Neilson, bringing a hearty tribute from another department of the Faculty, writes with discrimination of Professor James as a lecturer and author. The articles all have more to say of Professor James's personality than of his contributions to learning, and taken together they give, from different points of view, a very consistent account of a character that has deeply influenced recent generations of Harvard men. A sonnet, taken from "The Critic," comments appropriately, though in rather halting verse, on Mr. James's extraordinary receptivity and human sympathy.

Another article of interest is Mr. Samuel Henshaw's illustrated account of the Okayi, a rare specimen just acquired by the Agassiz Museum of an African animal akin to the giraffe. A criticism, by S. T. M., of the exhibition of the Camera Club addresses itself particularly to amateur photographers. General entertainment is provided in Mr. Stoddard's diary of a youthful would-be dilettante.