TRACK CARNIVAL SUCCESSFUL

Events Closely Contested.--Holyoke Street Won Dormitory Races.

The winter track carnival, held Saturday afternoon in the Gymnasium and on Holmes Field, was very successful. All the events were closely contested and were followed by a large number of spectators. Cups were awarded in all events to those who won first places and to those who won second places in the cross-country run and in the dormitory relay races. W. M. Rand '09 did the best individual work by winning first places in the three-legged race, the sack race, and the handicap 45-yard hurdle race. B. T. Stephenson '08 won a first, two second, and a third place. Holyoke street won the relay race and was awarded the shield presented by the Track and Field Club. Track work for all men except those practicing for the weight events will now be discontinued till the weather becomes suitable for outdoor work in the Stadium.

In the 20-yard dash, from which H. A. A. men were excluded, seven heats were run off, the first man in each heat qualifying for the finals. In the finals L. J. Freedman '07 won first place in 3 seconds, but was closely pushed by F. S. Blanchard '10 and E. W. Dutton '08, who won second and and third places.

The novice high jump resulted in a tie between C. C. Pope '08, H. W. Horne '08, and G. W. Waller '07, who all jumped 5 feet 3 1-2 inches. The tie will probably be jumped off either today or tomorrow. The novice shot-put, which went on at the same time, was won by H. S. Blair '08 with a put of 32 feet 1 1-2 inches.

The rope climbing conest of 22 feet was easily won by G. Mather '10. The three-legged race of 40 yards, which was one of the most interesting events to watch, was won by J. F. Doyle '07 and J. M. Rand '09, who finished a few feet ahead of W. T. Bentley '07 and H. E. Perry '07.

First place in the 16-pound shot-put was awarded to B. T. Stephenson '08, who made a good record of 43 feet 3-4 inches, considering the earliness of the season. In the handicap high jump R. G. Harwood '09, with a handicap of 2 1-2 inches and an actual jump of 5 feet 8 inches, beat G. E. Roosevelt '09 by an inch.

In the potato race, which was closely contested, six heats were run off and then the finals, in which T. M. Gregory '10 made the best time. The sack race of 40 yards was the most amusing event, and was won by W. M. Rand '09, who was closely pressed by G. W. Grover '08 and C. L. Hathaway '10.

The tug-of-war contest of two minutes duration resulted in a victory for 1909. 1909 defeated 1907 first, and then 1908 in the finals. There were two contestants in the pole-climbing, which was won by R. Bradley '09.

In the out-of-door events H. W. Horne '08 secured first place in the novice high hurdle race, with B. T. Stephenson '08 a close second. In the handicap 45-yard hurdle race W. M. Rand '09 just beat A. B. Mason '08, who had a handicap of 5 feet, W. Minot '07 easily won the cross-country run, which was about a mile and a half long, in 6 minutes and 58 seconds. M. H. Whitney '09 with a handicap of 10 seconds over Minot won second place.

The dormitory relay races on Holmes Field, in which six men ran on a team, each for a distance of 260 yards, were the most exciting and closely contested events of the afternoon. Claverly, Dunster street, Hollis-Stoughton, Holyoke street, Matthews, Miscellaneous A, and Randolph, all won their races, but Holyoke street, Westmorly and Matthews made the best time and so competed together in the finals, which were won by Holyoke street in the fast time of 3 minutes, 11 3-5 seconds. Westmorly had the lead at the beginning of the last lap, but E. K. Merrihew '10 succeeded in passing H. Watson '10 on the second corner, and finished five yards ahead. Matthews held second place until the third lap, when J. Early '07 of the Matthews team, was fouled by L. Watson '10 on one of the corners, which placed Matthews in the last position during the rest of the race. The foul, however, was not seen by the officials and Matthews' protest was not allowed.

The summary:

20-yard dash--Won by L. J. Freedman '07; second, F. S. Blanchard '10; third, E. W. Dutton '08. Time, 3s.

Novice high jump--Tie between C. C. Pope '08, H. W. Horne '08, and G. W. Waller '07. Height, 5 ft. 3 1-2 in.

Putting 16-pound shot, scratch--Won by H. S. Blair '08; second, H. R. Leonard '10; third, P. Edwards '08. Distance, 32 ft. 1 1-2 in.

Rope climbing--Won by G. Mather '10; second, B. T. Stephenson '08; third, E. B. Smith '08. Time, 8s.

Three-legged race--Won by J. F. Doyle '07 and W. M. Rand '09; second, W. T. Bentley '07 and H. E. Perry '07; third, T. C. Defriez '09 and L. C. Seaverns '10. Time, 7 3-5s.

Putting 16-pound shot, handicap--Won by B. T. Stephenson '08, scratch, 43 ft. 3-4 in.; second R. H. Townsend '09, 3 ft. 6 in., 40 ft. 11 in.; third, C. C. Little '10, 2 ft. 3 in., 40 ft. 2 3-4 in.

High jump, handicap--Won by R. G. Harwood '09, 2 1-2 in., 5 ft. 10 1-2 in.; second, G. E. Roosevelt 1 1-2 in., 5 ft. 9 1-2 in.; third, B. T. Stephenson '08, 2 1-2 in., 5 ft. 9 in.

Potato race--Won by T. M. Gergory '10; second, W. G. Wendell '09; third, E. V. B. Parke '08. Time, 35s.

Sack race--Won by W. M. Rand '09; second, G. W. Grover '08; third, C. L. Hathaway '10. Time, 8 3-5s.

Tug-of-war--Won by 1909; L. K. Lunt, captain, M. D. Robinson, W. D. Philippbar, S. Hoar, C. J. Nourse.

Pole climbing--Won by R. Bradley '09; second, G. Mather '10. Time, 13 3-5s.

45-yard hurdles, scratch--Won by H. W. Horne '08; second, B. T. Stephenson '08. Time, 6 1-5s.

45-yard hurdles, handicap--Won by W. M. Rand '09, scratch; second, A. B. Mason '08, 5 ft. Time, 6s.

Cross-country race, handicap--Won by W. Minot '07, scratch; second, M. H. Whitney '09, 10s,; third, H. F. Hadden '09, 5s.

Dormitory relay races--Won by Holyoke street; second, Westmorly; third, Matthews. Time, 3m. 11 3-5s