DEUTSCHER VEREIN PLAY

First Public Performance in Brattle Hall at 8.15.--Graduates' Night Reviewed.

Rehearsals for the Deutscher Verein play have been held nearly every night for the past two weeks, and while much remains to be done, everything points to an even more finished production than last year's play.

The play this year, Franz and Paul von Schonthan's "Der Raub der Sabinerinnen," is perhaps the most farcical which the Verein has yet presented. Martin Gollwitz, a professor in a small town, whose wife and unmarried daughter Paula are away on a visit, consents to the production of a Roman tragedy entitled "Der Raub der Sabinerinnen," which he had written when a student and had recently discovered among some old manuscripts. An itinerant actor named Striese undertakes to present the play, and rehearsals are well under way, when Mrs. Gollwitz and Paula unexpectedly return to town. Mrs. Gollwitz is very shrewish and strongly opposed to the stage; hence the professor writes her a note, urging her to prolong her visit, as the maid, Rosa, has left to attend a funeral. But Mrs. Gollwitz arrives just in time to find Rosa reading the note, and detects the professor's deceit.

Meanwhile, the married daughter, Marianne, suspecting her husband, Dr. Neumeister, of having had a wild youth, so pesters him to confess that he concocts for her benefit a lively tale, on condition that she will never mention it. She, however, immediately confides it to her mother, who then stirs up an endless amount of trouble.

The preparations for the play have now been completed, without the author's name being made public. Mrs. Gollwitz and Marianne are still in ignorance; and Striese is enthusiastic over his company, one of whom, Emil Gross, has fallen in love with Paula. Emil is an old friend of Neumeister, of gay life and small means, whose father has cast him off.

On the evening of the performance, the professor anxiously seeks a chance to steal away to the theatre. Paula and Neumeister devise a plan whereby all three make their escape, leaving Mrs. Gollwitz alone with Marianne, for Rosa has also gone.

Before long Paula and Rosa return weeping, followed later by Gollwitz and Neumeister. The play has proved a failure, and Striese soon appears in costume, driven from the stage. Mrs. Gollwitz now learns the truth. Next morning when all are making preparations to leave town, Gross calls and tells of a great success at the theatre the night before. Striese also arrives and assures Gollwitz that through an actor's presence of mind in substituting another play for the last two acts, the audience went away enthusiastic. Mrs. Gollwitz is appeased and Gross reconciled to Emil.

Two performances will be given, one on March 24 in Brattle Hall, and one on March 25 in Potter Hall, Boston.