PLANS FOR SPRING ROWING

Practically the Same as Last Year.--Election of the Class Captains.

On Tuesday evening captains of the three upperclass crews will be elected in the Committee Room of the Union. The electors will be men who rowed on the respective first crew of each class last spring. The Seniors will meet at 7.30 o'clock, the Juniors at 7.45, and the Sophomores at 8. The candidates for these crews will be called out either next Wednesday or on Monday, March 11, as the captains decide.

The secondary rowing system this season will be along the same general lines as last year. In each class first, second, and possibly third crews will be organized which will row in the Beacon Cup Regatta for the class championship. The first upperclass crew to finish will be awarded class numerals, whether the Freshmen win or not. There is also a possibility that the winning class crew will row in the American Henley Regatta at Philadelphia, and that a race on the Charles with some outside crew will be arranged for the class crew finishing second in the Beacon Cup Regatta. Furthermore, graded Weld and Newell crews will probably be organized after the class crew races to race for club insignia.

One difference from previous years, however, will appear in the scheme of the Freshman crew squad this year. No cut in the squad will be made until after rowing on the river commences. In previous years men have been dropped from the Freshman crew squad before the ice disappeared from the Charles. But by keeping the squad intact it is planned to teaching rowing to every one of the 94 members. This is a development of the plan to popularize rowing and will react on the dormitory, club and upperclass crews of next year, tending to raise the general standard of rowing in the University.

In further pursuance of the secondary rowing plan two new eight-oared shells have been purchased by the trustees of the Weld Boat Club and the Athletic Committee respectively, and one has been placed in the Weld and the other in the Newell boathouse. They were built by Davy of Cambridge, and are heavier and more durable than the shells usually constructed for the University and Freshman crew each year. These shells will be used by two of the first upperclass crews this spring and the other first upperclass crew will have a shell used by a University crew of recent date, probably either the 1905 or 1906 boat. Two more new shells for the University and Freshman eights are being built by Davy and are expected to be ready for use shortly before the April recess.