Two Reasons for Training Tables.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The training-table has two excellent reasons for its existence. First, it is impossible without it to bring men into the excellent physical condition required by the keen competitions of our present athletic contests; and second, it has great importance in developing the unity of a team and the "esprit" of its individual members.

As for the first point, there can be no doubt that regularity of meals and carefully selected and prepared food contribute largely to successful physical condition. It may be pointed out in this connection that such simple food as is required, though of the very best quality, ought to cost from $8 to $10 a week. There again, all teams should have equal privileges in this direction; for instance, it hardly seems fair that the cross-country team, which requires as great ruggedness and endurance as any team in the University, should be cut off with no support and be forced to maintain its own training-table.

As for the second point, it is so important that the members of a team should know each other well and develop that keenness and enthusiasm which is essential to success, that a training-table would be of advantage even though ordinary food were supplied.

It has been suggested that all the tables be grouped together in Memorial Hall. There could be little advantage in any such gregarious arrangement; furthermore, the Union has proved in all ways satisfactory as the home of the training-table, and its convenient location and established place in College life, make it eminently suited for that purpose. G. EMERSON '08.