PRODUCTION OF "FINANCIER"

Pi Eta Play Well Received.--Dash to the Action and Music Refreshing.

The first Cambridge performance of "The Financier," the musical comedy of the Pi Eta Society, was given last night in the club theatre in Winthrop square.

This year's play is perhaps one of the most successful that has ever been presented by the Pi Eta Society. Its exceptional charm is due to the gay costumes and spirited music. Throughout there is a certain dash and innocent deviltry which prevents for a moment lagging interest. The musical selections through which peep occasionaly strains of well known tunes, are, however, delightfully refreshing, and well adapted to the general trend of the plot--in which are combined the ingredients of youth, life, variety, humor and sentiment. Structurally the play is somewhat over convential. Although the scenes are full of spirit and often dramatic force, many of the incidents are exasperating if not improbable. The plot is by no means confusing, yet sufficiently interwoven to possess numerous comic incidents punctuated by songs and dances. A commonplace story of love and financial catastrophy is moulded into the semblance of a poignant living drama.

By far the most capable and amusing acting of the evening was that of F. W. Taft '07. S. Crowell '09 enters well into his part, but is heavy when he should be light. In his elocution C. N. Eaton '08 was unpardonably indistinct. R. D. Murphy '08 and H. L. Murphy '08 have the best voices and there songs were among the best.