LACROSSE WITH COLUMBIA

First Northern League Game in Stadium at 3.30.--Chances Favor Harvard.

The University lacrosse team left yesterday afternoon for New York, where it will play Columbia on South Field, Morningside Heights, at 4 o'clock this afternoon, in the first game of the inter university series. Tomorrow the team will play the Crescent Athletic Club at Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The team is weakened by the loss of Hanavan, who broke a bone in his hand on Wednesday, but Lehman, whose shoulder was sprained early in the season, will again play today. Since the game with Hobart the men have improved steadily, although the defense still have a tendency to leave their opponents uncovered. On the whole both the stick-work and team-play are better than in former years, and the team should play a strong game today.

Columbia has the advantage of playing on her own grounds, with a team of which all but two men played last year. As regards scores Columbia has defeated Cornell 8 goals to 1, and Stevens, 2 to 1, but has been defeated by the Crescent Athletic Club, 11 to 2, by Johns Hopkins, 7 to 1, and by Swarthmore, 3 to 0. The strenght of the Columbia team cannot well be judged from these scores, but the chances for today's game seem slightly to favor Harvard.

The line-up today will be as follows: Harvard.  Columbia. Hays, g.  g., Saquf Phillips, p.  p., Benedict Lehmann, c.p.  c.p., Rogers Bailey, 1st d.  1st d., Baum Kibbey, 2d d.  2d d., Gutgsell Rice, 3d d.  3d d., Hays Adams, c.  c., Stewart Bennett (captain), 3d a.  3d a., Ray (captain) Outerbridge, 2d a.  2d a., Biglow Blaxter, 1st a.  1st a., Adams Goddard, o.h.  o.h., Ashley Smith, i.h.  i.h., Van Buren