Close Practice Game Yesterday

Team A defeated team B of the University baseball squad in a close 7-inning game yesterday afternoon on the Freshman diamond by the score of 2 to 1. the game was fast from start to finish and was exceedingly well played, in spite of the roughness of the ground. A strong wind blew against the batters and spoiled many balls that would ordinarily have fallen safe. Three pitchers were used on each team and they all did well. Team B did better fielding with two errors against three for team A, but one of the two was a bad overthrow which resulted in the winning run.

Team A scored first in the fourth inning. McCall, the first man up, went out on a pop fly to Davis, but Dexter followed with a scratch hit over second. Simons advanced him with a fast grounder past short but he was caught off second after making the turn. Simons then stole second and scored on Paine's overthrow of Pound's easy grounder. Dana went out, Davis to Waters.

Each team worked a man around in the seventh. For team A, Simons went out, Garceau to Waters. Pounds singled to right, took third on Greene's overthrow to first, and after Dana flied out to Waters, scored on Currier's single to right. Slater was out, Kemble to Waters. Garceau opened the last half with a pop fly to McCall. Waters took first on Simon's error of his grounder, stole second, and scored on Ware's drive to centre. Harvey and paine went out on grounders, ending the game.

The batting orders: Team A.  Team B. Leonard, 3b.  2b., Kemble Briggs, 1b.  s.s., Pritchett, Garceau McCall, 2b.  1b., Waters Dexter, l.f.  l.f., Ware Simons, s.s.  3b., Paine Pounds, r.f.  c.f., Harvey Dana, c.f.  r.f., Grant, Frye Currier, c.  c., Howe Withington, Slater, Brennan, p.  p., Boyer, Davis, Greene