PERFORMANCE OF "AZARA"

Opera by Late Prof. Paine to be Sung for First Time in Boston Tonight.

The grand opera "Azara," composed by the late Professor John Knowles Paine 1969 will be sung in Symphony Hall, Boston, tonight at 8 o'clock, by the members of the Cecilia Society of Boston. Tickets at $2, $1.50, and $1, may be obtained at the box office at Symphony Hall. There will be about 180 people in the chorus, and about 10 principals. The music will be rendered by an orchestra of about 60 pieces, which will be led by Mr. B. J. Lang in his last appearance as conductor of the Cecilia Society, after 31 years of service.

The opera has never before been given in complete form, though many parts have often been sung or played in concerts. The ballet music, which consists of Moorish dances, and which is especially good, has been played by the Boston Symphony Orchestra with great success. The song sung by Azara, while waiting for her lover, is regarded as one of the greatest operatic arias.

Both the music and the libretto were written by Professor Paine. The story is founded on the old Provencal tale of "Aucassin et Nicollette, and the scene is laid in Provence at the time of the early Crusades. Azara is a Moorish princess, who was brought from Spain in her infancy, and with whom, Gontran, the son of the King of Provence, falls in love. Rainuls, the King, separates the two lovers, as he desires Azara for himself. Malek, a Moorish chief, whom Gontran has conquered in battle but set at liberty again, finds that Azara is the daughter of his Caliph, and he takes her back to Spain. After staying a short time with her own people, Azara escapes, and making her way back to Provence, disguised as a troubadour, she finds her lover, Gontran, and is reunited with him.

The cast of characters: Azara, a Moorish princess,  Miss A. B. Rice Odo, a page,  Miss B. C. Child Rainuls, King of Provence,  Mr. H. F. Merrill Gontran, his son,  Mr. George Deane Malek, a Moorish chief,  Mr. S. Townsend Ayman, a vassal  Mr. E. Cartwright Garsie, an attendant,  Mrs. Rebecca Howe Colas,  Miss Adelaide Griggs A Huntsman,  Mr. J. A. Rattigan