LISTLESS CREW PRACTICE

No Changes in University Crew Order.--Shifts in Freshman Boats.

No changes were made in the orders of the University rowing squad yesterday afternoon. Together with the first two Freshman crews, the University and second eights rowed downstream at about 5.30 to Harvard bridge. There the second crews stopped, but the other two crews continued downstream and rowed over the entire mile and seven-eights course to the Union Boat Club. No attempt at a time row was made by either crew, but both paddled slowly, keeping the stroke below thirty-two to the minute. The work of the University crew was very listless, especially when the stroke went as low as twenty-six or eight, all of the men seeming lifeless at the catch and on the pull through.

This was the first time that the Freshmen have had an opportunity to go over the course since the recent changes, and in the new orders, with Bacon at stroke, the rowing was well done. Waid was tried at 6 in place of Buxton, who was out of the boat on account of trouble with his knee, and Sargent retained the position at 4, where he was tried on Tuesday. A change was also made in the order of the second Freshman crew in view of the second class crew races this afternoon. Maxwell was in at stroke and Deming rowed at 6. Henderson replaced Frye at 2.