DISTURBANCES AT NIGHT

If every class and College victory from now until Class Day is to be celebrated by the same kind of boisterous and untimely disturbance which the Freshmen chose on last Friday night after winning the interclass crew races, Cambridge will be a poor place to sleep and study for the final examinations. We do not wish to insinuate that the members of the Freshman Class are the only ones guilty of these midnight gatherings on street-corners, where the sole qualification for leadership is a loud voice and an untiring purpose to wake every student within a radius of several blocks. Nor do we wish to contend that the winning of a class crew race is not a better cause for organized noise than the underlying motives for many of the other noisy gatherings, which almost nightly postpone or disturb our slumbers.

Although we have not taken the trouble to make a complete canvas, we have direct evidence that a number of men in training have been kept awake several hours at a time by pointless cheering and singing. It would seem, therefore, that putting the whole matter on the basis of loyalty to the athletes who represent us, some general sentiment should be started to stop these unreasonable disturbances which occur with startling frequency. If a general sentiment is not effective there are other methods of suppression, less gentle, but perfectly justifiable.