FRESHMEN VS. YALE 1910

First Baseball Game in New Haven Today.--Hicks to Pitch.

The Freshman baseball team will play its first game with the Yale freshmen this afternoon at 1.30 o'clock, on the Yale Field, New Haven.

The work of the team during the early part of the season was very encouraging. Noble's was easily defeated 8 to 4, St. Mark's 3 to 2, and Andover 9 to 0. In a twelve-inning pitcher's battle with Stone's the Freshmen finally won by timely hitting, 4 to 3. Since the Stone's game, however, the team has had a decided slump, both in batting and fielding until within a week, when the University team was defeated in a six-inning game, 4-3, and the Brown freshmen defeated 3-0. During this slump two easy games were played, both of which resulted in very close scores, Milton being 3-1, and Middlesex, 3-2.

Owing to the sickness of Gardner, Palmer has been substituted for him at second base, and from his rapid improvement gives promise of playing a strong and reliable game. Hicks will probably start the game as pitcher, as Lanigan's arm is not in the best shape. The rest of the team is practically as it has been during the year, except that Pond will be substituted for Ferguson in centre field, which place he has won after a close race by hard hitting.

The work of the Yale freshmen has been rather erratic; but in the last few weeks, the team has shown excellent improvement. Merritt, who pitched for Andover last year, has just been taken off probation, and so is enabled to play. This will greatly increase Yale's chances, as he has already won two games from the Princeton freshmen by the scores of 1 to 0 and 10 to 0. Owing to the lack of a pitcher before Merritt came out, it is useless to give any of the early scores of the team, as several substitutes were tried with little success.

As a whole, the Freshman team has shown more consistent knowledge of baseball, and has hit the ball harder than the Yale freshmen. With Hicks in the box, they will have a very capable pitcher, and should win in a close game.

The batting orders: HARVARD 1910.  YALE 1910. Aronson, s.s.  2b., Wheaton Palmer, 2b.  s.s., Fels Hall, 1b.  3b., Logan Lanigan, l.f.  c.f., Murphy Delano, r.f.  1b., Coy Foster, 3b.  c., Philbin Brown, c.  r.f., Donegan Hicks, p.  l.f., Ijams Pond, c.f.  p., Merritt